Thanks for visiting my blog. I have a strong belief in the preservation of family. I love keeping records and memorabilia of our family and everything we do. I have created a website to share some of the wonderful memories I have of my family and of many others that I have been blessed to have been behind the camera for. I invite you to visit my photography website, while you are there if you would like to schedule a photo setting all the information is there. I am a Scrap 4 Hire, which means, I will gladly preserve your family history for you. All you have to do is make the memories.... When you are done here, please visit http://cowgirl-design-and-photog.smugmug.com/

Please help our website, by visiting our sponsor ads. Thank you!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Addiction Triggers

Last night I had a great experience. I had to attend a class that I didn't want to, every time I have to go I get a lot of anxiety. I had about an hour and a half before the class started. I felt that I needed cherry sours. If you don't know they are candy, I buy them at Cal Ranch. I ran to Wal-Mart to get some things I needed. When I was finished it was only half hour before I needed to be at class. Realisticly there wasn't time to go to Cal Ranch and still get to class on time. I immediately started to justify. Since I don't like being in this class, it won't matter if I'm late. I'm not learning or getting anything out of this class...On and on. As I walked out of Wal-Mart I realized that it made more sense to take the freeway to class, I could get there on time with a minimum traffic. As I quickly thought about it. (I'm always amazed at how fast thoughts can run through my mind) Anyway, I realized that my anxiety toward this class was what was driving me to the cherry sours. I like them, I do, but this moment I felt like I needed them. I didn't really even want them.

This was the first time, I recognized this situation in this light. I eat because of anxiety, and I justify doing it. As I made this realization I was able to step back and recognize that although, I am powerless to over come these triggers on my own I have a wonderful Heavenly Father that loves me, and is supporting me through giving me the gift of this realization that through Him, I can over come my weaknesses.

It doesn't matter what addiction you are recovering from, I challenge you to look for your triggers, and evaluate how they effect your life...I'd love to hear from you, and share with me what works for you when these triggers show up in your life.

May Angels Walk With You

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you know this, but your Dad started craving sour candy when he was sick. He would sort them by color and have little piles of them on the bedside stand... all color sorted so he could wake up in the middle of the night and pick the color he wanted. It was funny, but he REALLY wanted that candy. Then suddenly the craving went away and he didn't need them any more. Your post reminded me of this. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great little story. Thanks for sharing. It really helped me feel better.

    ReplyDelete